Most dogs and cats eventually need a professional dental cleaning using an ultrasonic scaler such as your dentist might use. We also perform hand scaling of the teeth under the gum line where tartar often accumulates (sub gingival root planing), then polish the teeth to reduce the recurrence of tartar buildup. We also apply fluoride to your pet’s teeth during the dental.Dental procedures are performed using the same inhalation anesthetic and careful monitoring techniques that we use for our surgical patients. Many pets have their teeth cleaned on an annual basis to help ensure optimal oral health.
Additional dental and oral procedures offered include:
- Tooth Extractions
- Full oral examination
- Radiographs or x-rays
- Oral Surgery (i.e. mass removals, fistula repair, etc.)
- Home Dental Care Counseling (i.e. brushing, treat selection, drinking water additives). We will advise you based on physical examination and history what the best options are for protecting and ensuring your pet’s continued oral health and hygiene. We can present many “hands-on” and “hands-off” strategies that will help you with your pet’s teeth.
Grove Veterinary Clinic routinely recommends the use of the following dental care products. Our veterinarians and staff can discuss the different products with you to figure out which dental care strategy is the most appropriate for your pet and you.
- Oxyfresh Oral Hygiene Solution
- Oxyfresh Oral Hygiene Gel
- CET Chews
- CET Toothpastes
- Purina Veterinary Diet Dental Health (DH) Diets
- Hill’s Science Diet Prescription Tartar Diet (t/d)
- CET Oral Hygiene Flush
- CET Toothbrushes and Fingerbrushes
- Biotene Oral Enzymatic Gel